Friday, July 24, 2009

Life as a Parent

The second night that we were in the hospital, we saw a glimpse of what it might be like to take a newborn home. We were pleasantly surprised to discover that our new daughter had quite the lungs...she proceeded to cry and scream on the top of her lungs ALL NIGHT. Jeremy and I got only 30 minutes of sleep. As Jeremy put it, it was like someone took our sweet, quiet, sleeping baby and replaced her with a different baby at night.

There was a moment of sheer panic when she was crying on the top of her lungs while I tried to prepare her bottle and I opened her diaper to find it overflowing with poop. Then in her hysteria, Mia proceeded to kick her feet into the poop! What to do first? Finish preparing the bottle? Wipe the poop? Cry? I thought I was going to faint from exhaustion and panic.

Since coming home, the first two nights were also filled with delirium. I felt like I was on this high during the day, but at night it was as if I was sleep walking!! After the first few nights, we figured out that she was crying because the poor sweet girl was not getting enough to eat! Now she's an eating, sleeping, pooping monster!

No comments:

Post a Comment